ACCESSIBILITY PLAN AND ACCESSIBILITY POLICY FOR THE ALDO GROUP (MANITOBA)
This accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that The ALDO Group ("Aldo") has put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities and remove barriers to accessibility
will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities and remove barriers to accessibility.
This Accessibility Plan and ALDO's Accessibility Policies will be posted in public areas of our Manitoba locations and on ALDO's web site. If requested, they will be provided in an accessible format, such as large print. ALDO will ensure that its website is screen-reader compatible.
This Accessibility Plan and Accessibility Policy will be reviewed and updated at least every 5 years.
STATEMENT OF COMMITMENT
ALDO is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity. We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Manitobans Act.
ALDO will communicate with all persons with disabilities in a manner that takes into account their disability. Any training conducted in respect of providing customer service will reaffirm the importance of this principle.
By November 01, 2018 and on an ongoing basis thereafter, ALDO will train employees, staff and volunteers who interact with the public or third parties on ALDO's behalf, or who participate in developing ALDO's policies, on the Customer Service Standard of the AMA.
- Individuals will be trained on how to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disability; how to interact with persons with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person; how to use equipment or devices available on ALDO's premises or otherwise provided by ALDO that may help with the provision of goods or services to a person with a disability; and what to do if a person with a particular type of disability is having difficulty accessing ALDO's goods or services.
- Records of training will be kept.
ALDO shall ensure that any person accessing ALDO's goods, services or facilities is permitted to enter the premises with their service animal and to keep the animal with him or her unless the animal is otherwise excluded by law from the premises. If the service animal is excluded by law, ALDO shall ensure that other measures are put into place to enable the person to access its goods and services.
If a person with a disability is accompanied by a support person, ALDO shall ensure that both persons are permitted to enter the premises together and that the person with a disability is not prevented from having access to the support person.
ACCESSIBLE EMERGENCY INFORMATION
ALDO is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
ALDO will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members who participate in developing ALDO's policies, who interact with members of the public, or who provide goods, services, or facilities on ALDO's behalf, on Manitoba's accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities. Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
ALDO will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Manitoba's accessible laws by November 1, 2018 and on an ongoing basis thereafter.
- Current employees, volunteers and other staff will be trained and re-trained in accordance with the above with respect to any changes in policy or updates and as required.
- New employees, volunteers and other staff, including part time and seasonal employees, will be trained as soon as practicable when they start employment.
Records of all training and re-training will be kept.
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS
ALDO is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities. We will consult with people with disabilities to determine their information and communication needs.
ALDO is taking the following steps (among others) to make all new websites and content within its control on those sites conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA on an ongoing basis thereafter.
- ALDO will provide text alternatives including large print, and create content that can be viewed in alternate forms without losing content.
- ALDO will provide content in a manner that is readable and understandable, with clear page titles. Readers will be provided with sufficient time to read content.
- ALDO will ensure that content is not presented in a way that would cause seizures.
- ALDO will develop its web pages to appear and operate in a predictable and easy-to-function, accessible manner, that is compatible with multiple platforms.
- Captions will be provided for pre-recorded audio and media content, except where inapplicable. Volume for audio or recorded media that plays longer than 3 seconds can be paused or volume can be controlled separately from the overall system volume.
Colour will be used in a manner that takes accessibility into account and will not be the only visual means of conveying information.
- ALDO will ensure that all third-party website developers it engages (if applicable) understand and agree to conform with WCAG 2.0 Level AA.
ALDO will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request.
ALDO receives feedback in store, through online forms and online live-chat, and by telephone, e-mail, or letter mail.
ALDO will continue to receive and respond to feedback from employees, customers, visitors, and other third parties who have a disability in the appropriate manner, such as by letter, live-chat, e-mail, or telephone.
All feedback will be directed to the appropriate person or department and will be responded to within 30 days.
By January 1, 2016, and upon request, Aldo will provide or arrange for accessible formats and communication supports that suit for persons with a disability, at no extra cost and in a timely manner. Requesting persons will be consulted as to the suitability of an accessible format or communication support.
By January 1, 2016, Aldo will notify the public about the availability of accessible formats and communication supports.
Aldo will take the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request.
By November 1, 2018, and upon request, ALDO will provide or arrange for accessible formats and communication supports that suit for persons with a disability, at no extra cost and in a timely manner. Requesting persons will be consulted as to the suitability of an accessible format or communication support.
By November 1, 2018, ALDO will notify the public about the availability of accessible formats and communication supports.
By November 1, 2018, ALDO will notify members of the public, via its website, that all communications will be provided in an accessible format or through the use of communications supports
- This public notification will advise that ALDO will consult with the person making the request as to the most appropriate manner of providing accessible information.
ALDO is taking the following steps to make all websites and content conform with WCAG 2.0, Level AA.
- ALDO is work directly with its internal and external web-developers to ensure they meet the WCAG 2.0 Level AA standards on websites moving forward. Included among the measures that are and will be taken are:
- Adding captions and audio descriptions to media
- Permitting text to be resized up to 200% without loss of content or functionality.
- Making menus available at the same location across web pages
- Ensuring that icons and buttons are consistently identifiable
- Implementing techniques to reduce the risk of unintentional input data
- Ensuring that visual presentation of text and images has sufficient contrast
- Provide multiple ways to locate a web page within a set of web pages, unless the web page is a step in a process, and make information available about the user's location in a set of web pages.
ALDO is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and will meet the following commitments by November 1, 2018 and on an ongoing basis thereafter to the point of undue hardship.
We will take the following steps to notify the public and staff that, when requested, ALDO will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired.
ALDO will notify job applicants and members of the public about the availability of accommodation for applicants with disabilities on its application forms, including on-line application forms.
Should ALDO require a job applicant to submit to testing or assessment, the applicant will be advised that accommodation will be made available, if required, in respect of the materials or processes used. The method of accommodation will be determined in consultation with the job applicant.
New hires will be notified of ALDO's policies for accommodating employees with disabilities.
We will take the following steps to notify employees and staff that ALDO will accommodate people with disabilities during employment.
ALDO will advise all of its employees of its existing policies used to support employees with disabilities, including those related to job accommodations.
Updates to policies related to accommodation of persons with disabilities will be communicated as they are released to employees.
ALDO will ensure that any employee who requires accessible formats or communications supports in respect of information that is needed to perform his or her job, or information that is generally available to employees, is provided.
ALDO will consult with the employee making the request in determining the suitability of the accessible format or communication support being provided.
We provide individualized workplace emergency response information to employees who have a disability, if the disability is such that the individualized information is necessary and the employer is aware of the need for accommodation due to the employee's disability.
- ALDO has and will ask employees for information about the disability supports that may be required in the event of an emergency. ALDO will work with each employee who responds to its request for information in order to develop an individualized workplace emergency response plan.
- New employees will be asked whether they require assistance in the event of an emergency, in which case an individualized workplace emergency response plan will also be prepared in consultation with that employee.
- Individualized workplace emergency response plans will be updated as required and within thirty days of: (a) the employee moving to a different location in the organization; (b) a review of the employee's overall accommodation needs or plans; or (c) when ALDO reviews its general emergency response policies.
ALDO will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
- ALDO will develop individual accommodation plans for employees with identified disabilities and will incorporate the use of the individual accommodations plans. The individual accommodation plans will be developed in consultation with the employee requiring the plan, where appropriate.
- ALDO will develop and implement a return to work process for its employees who have been absent from work due to a disability and who require disability-related accommodation in order to return to work. This process, and the individual accommodations required for the employee at issue, will be documented.
- The documented process will outline the steps to be taken by ALDO to facilitate the return to work of its employee.
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account if ALDO is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes.
- ALDO will take into account whether a disability has affected the performance of an employee who is subject to performance management. An employee's individual accommodation plan will be referred to, if applicable, during the disciplinary process.
- ALDO shall ensure that persons with disabilities have equal access to career development and advancement. An employee's individual accommodation plan will be referred to, if applicable, during the career development and advancement process.
- Prior to redeploying an employee, ALDO shall take into account the needs of any persons with disabilities. An employee's individual accommodation plan will be referred to, if applicable, during the redeployment process.
ALDO will take the following steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers identified.
- Identify and review any potential accessibility barriers and initiate a plan to address.
POINT OF SALE DEVICES AND SERVICE COUNTERS
On an ongoing basis, ALDO considers the accessibility of electronic terminals when designing, procuring or acquiring self-service kiosks including point-of-sale devices. ALDO will consider the various needs of persons with disabilities prior to making any decisions regarding the purchase, implementation and use of self-service kiosks.
DESIGN OF PUBLIC SPACES
ALDO will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces, including but not limited to service counters, fixed queuing lines, and waiting areas, as well as accessible off-street parking.
- ALDO will always ensure that when constructing new service counters (or replacing existing service counters), there will be at least one service counter that reasonably accommodates a mobility aid. This service counter will be clearly identified and will:
- Be at a height such that it is usable seated in a mobility aid;
- Have sufficient knee clearance for a person seated in a mobility aid; and
- Have sufficient floor space in front of the counter to accommodate a mobility aid.
- When constructing new fixed queuing guides, ALDO will ensure that the fixed queuing guides have sufficient width and floor area to allow for the passage of mobility assistive devices and are cane detectable.
- ALDO will ensure that any outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas, access points to the building, off-street parking and accessible pedestrian signals under its control are accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- ALDO has in place the following procedures for preventative and emergency maintenance of accessible elements:
- ALDO associates will monitor the accessible elements that are present in their respective workplaces on an ongoing basis.
- Should maintenance be required with respect to an accessible element, the associates in that workplace will inform ALDO’s maintenance team through the maintenance platform. ALDO’s maintenance team will investigate the matter and make arrangements to carry out any required maintenance or upkeep.
- Where maintenance or upkeep is being carried out and there is a temporary disruption of the accessible element, the procedures for dealing with temporary disruptions will be followed as set out below.
- ALDO has the following procedures for dealing with temporary disruptions when accessible elements are not in working order:
- ALDO will identify available alternatives.
- ALDO will post a notice on its website and/or at the physical site (as appropriate) which will include information regarding the reason for the disruption of the accessible element, the anticipated duration of the disruption and the list of alternatives, if available.
- These steps will be taken in advance of any planned temporary disruption or, in the event of an unplanned temporary disruption, as soon as reasonably practicable.
In the event of a service disruption, ALDO will post a notice on its website and/or at the physical site (as appropriate) which will include information regarding the reason for the disruption, the anticipated duration of the service disruption and a list of alternatives, if available
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information on this accessibility plan,
Please contact our Human Resource department at:
Phone: (514) 747-2536